VITAMINS: SOURCES AND TYPES
VITAMINS: SOURCES AND TYPES
Vitamins are essential substances that your body needs to function efficiently. It is an organic micro-nutrient that the body needs in specific amounts to grow and be healthy. The importance of vitamins in a body is not unknown to us. It helps us to combat virus and disease, it aids in the healthy functioning of vital organs, Our skin, hair, nails, teeth, bones and even one feeling active, depends upon the sufficient level of vitamins in the body. Vitamins are present in the food we eat. In fact, we can accumulate most of the vitamins in our body through our diet and therefore, it is essential to eat a balanced diet. With vitamin deficiency, you can be prescribed with multivitamin pills to fill the daily limit quota of vitamins in the body.
TYPES OF VITAMINS
There are mainly 13 types of vitamins that your body needs Vitamins A, Vitamin B, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, and Vitamin K. Further Vitamin B is categorized into:
- Pantothenic acid
- Vitamin B-6
- Vitamin B-12
As mentioned above, most of the vitamins can be obtained from the food we eat but vegetarians and vegans need a supplement for Vitamin B-12 as it is rarely found in vegetables. All the vitamins have a specific role that it fulfills in the body. Deficiency of any vitamin may lead to signs of problems and inefficient performance.
FUNCTIONS OF VITAMINS
- Vitamin A : Vitamin A is important for good vision, the immune system and reproduction. Vitamin A also helps to improve vital organ health such as heart, lungs etc
- Vitamin B : Vitamin B helps in overall well-being of the body. It impacts your energy level, brain function and cell reproduction. It also improves the health of the cell.
- Vitamin C : Vitamin C is very versatile. It helps in formation of collagen, enhances immune system, wound healing and maintenance of bones and teeths etc.
- Vitamin D : Vitamin D is also known as sunshine vitamin as we can get these from direct sunlight. It helps in protecting us from diseases and supports our immune brain and enhances our nervous system health.
- Vitamin E : Vitamin is an antioxidant. It helps to slow down the process of cell damage and helps in keeping other organs healthy.
- Vitamin K : Vitamin K helps in clotting blood i.e preventing excess blood loss. Also studies suggest that it helps in strengthening bones.
To conclude Vitamins are highly essential for the well-being of the body. Therefore, it is necessary for you to eat a balanced diet to obtain all the vitamin levels needed for a healthy life.
Author: Dr. Anil Date, MD | Dr2bThin – A medically supervised weight loss program based in California, USA. For any query/assistance, reach back to us at email@example.com